Written by Natasha J. Stewart
If you or a friend is considering suicide, check out our teen suicide prevention resources now!
National Suicide Prevention Hotline
1-800-799-4889 (if you are hearing impaired)
-Someone will do an assessment over the phone and listen to you
-Remember, it’s free, confidential, and anonymous
-You can call anytime day or night
How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me
By Susan Rose Blauner
Susan Blauner is the perfect emissary for a message of hope and a program of action for these millions of people. She's been though it, and speaks and writes eloquently about feelings and fantasies surrounding suicide.
**Natasha highly recommends this book
When you are experiencing suicidal thoughts it can be hard to think straight. This plan offers a safe alternative to acting on the dangerous thoughts. It is important to print it, fill it out ahead of time and keep it nearby so it is ready when you need it.
When you begin experiencing unsafe thoughts, start at the top of your safety plan and work your way down. After you complete the first 8 steps, evaluate. If the suicidal thoughts are under control, you can stop. Otherwise continue with steps 9-12. If you are still feeling unsafe or if at any point your feelings have become worse, finish the plan by calling for help.
For when I am feeling _____________________.
1. Take a deep breath & pause your thoughts.
2. Tell yourself aloud, “I can & will make the right choice.”
3. Ask yourself why you are having these thoughts.
4. Take another deep breath.
5. Identify and write down your feelings.
6. Continue following the plan even if you don’t feel like it.
7. Choose a healthy activity or task from your list of healthy coping skills:
8. Pay attention to that activity or task.
9. Call someone you can trust:
10. Take a deep breath.
11. Choose another activity.
12. Call the hotline listed above.
13. Call 911
14. Put down any dangerous objects or weapons & keep both hands on the phone until help arrives.
Sign up Below and Get this Book FREE:
Sign up below to have these devos sent to your email daily.
Get the Books!
Body Image Lies Women Believe - Read 26 different stories from 26 women and learn how to overcome body image lies with God's truth.
Get your copy here
Broken Crayons Still Color - Shelley Hitz shares how our biggest regrets, failures and mistakes become what God uses the most in our lives.
Please note that we are an affiliate for Amazon.com. Any books you purchase from us will help support this ministry.
Get True Beauty Stuff!
True Beauty Buttons, Bags, Mugs, T-shirts & More!
From $1 and up